Thank you and welcome!

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank each of you for a) coming here and b) for reading anything that I post.

Thank you - it does actually mean a lot to me.

- David


Monday 18 April 2016

AUTHOR SPOTLIGHT SERIES WITH D.M. MILLER






I am overjoyed to announce that author D.M. Miller features next in the series.

As you may be aware I asked authors on my facebook page if they would like to appear in a series of *interviews*. I wanted to connect with other writers, find out what they write about, why they write, their thoughts about the writing process, their drives, and learn a little more about them. Please find the full interview below (also linked to my twitter, tumblr, facebook, Goodreads, and google + account).

Please do share with your circle of book friends and leave me a like/comment - thank you very much.



What started the interest to write?

When I was 12 years-old, I began writing poetry. That is a tender age for any child and even more so for me, after having gone through some traumatic experiences. I needed an escape, not a vice but another form of catharsis. Writing was it.

Tell us about your first novel?

My very first novel was one I wrote at the age of 20, but let's not talk about that one. My first published novel is called, The Religion of the Heart, and is an interfaith love story between a Muslim and a Jew. In the book, I highlight some controversial issues like the anti-Semitism that is preached in many Muslim communities, but I also show that there is good and bad in every religion and culture. When it comes down to pure love, does the rest matter? You have to read the book and see!

Are you self-published or traditional?

Self-published, and I'll tell you why. Over twenty years ago, back when you had to send the old self-addressed stamped envelope along with your fully printed work to dozens of agents and publishers who were willing to accept unsolicited manuscripts, my heart was torn to pieces.  After a break for a couple of years, I attempted again with the same dismal results. I realized they were only looking for the formula that's proven to work, unwilling to take a chance on anything different. Yet the break-out stars never follow the rules.

This time around, despite knowing that the maturity and depth of my work today far exceeds anything I'd done twenty years ago and I'd stand a better chance going the traditional route, I'm doing things my way. Amazon has given us the tools to be able to do that, and I'm taking full advantage.

What genre do you write and what draws you to it?

The genre, I suppose, is romance, though I say that reluctantly. Romance carries a stigma because people have this negative preconceived notion about what it is. No, it's not all trash. Nowadays, romance is a huge genre broken up into multiple categories.

My books are love stories but so much more. They're about the complexities of life, relationships, family, religion and culture. Of course I'm drawn to these things because they're what life is all about.

How many books have you written?

I co-wrote a nonfiction book under a pen name, but as myself, I have two published novels and a book of poetry on the way. The Religion of the Heart is my first, Agony of the Heart is the sequel, and the third installment is due to come out next year. Dandelion Fuzz is a compilation of poetry I wrote long ago when I was young and full of angst, and I plan to publish it next month.

Who is your favourite character of your books?

Abdul and Catherine are the protagonists from my "Heart" series, and this may surprise you, but I have more fun writing Abdul's character than Catherine's. He was born into a wealthy Egyptian Muslim family and lived a somewhat secluded life as he didn't go to school but was taught by tutors. After moving to England, his parents worried about the West corrupting him, and he didn't get to really break out until he went to university. However, with education being so important to his family, he was able to become a free-thinker and form his own opinions on things. Still, he struggles between his Middle Eastern upbringing, the very different Western culture, and his own emotions. Catherine is a Jew, and he's supposed to hate Jews, but he knows what he feels.

What challenges do you face when writing?

Discipline. But I've finally found what works. I print out a chart with a daily and weekly goal, and I must fill it out each day with how much I actually write compared to what I am supposed to write. Since I will not be defeated, seeing it in writing forces me to get it done, and this way, I never write less than the minimum. Without the chart, I'm just in lala land.

Who do you act out the scenes in your novels with?

Only in my head.

What is your favourite thing you've written and why? 

The ending of both novels. Every time I reread the ending of each one, I'm overwhelmed with emotion.

Where do you do your writing? Do you have an office/workplace?

I have an office in my house, and most of it is done there, although at times I break out my laptop and do some writing elsewhere.

How many hours a day on average do you say you spend writing?

That really varies, but when I get into the thick of things and set out a plan, around 1500 words/day is what works for me.

How do you structure each story - do you start with an outline, plot each chapter as you go or just write and see where it flows?

I have a basic outline and certain plot points that have to happen. Sometimes as I'm writing, new things that I hadn't planned take place, but the main ideas absolutely have to be in there because that was my plan.

Where do you market your work?

Marketing is my biggest weakness. I have no idea what I'm doing.


What social media platforms do you use?



 

How much do you feel you've evolved creatively?

As we get older and have more life experiences under our belts, our writing matures, and our perspective on things changes. I think now I can present a more complete overview of a situation, looking at it from different angles and showing how and why one character feels a certain way with the behavior to boot, and why another character coming from the opposite side sees things differently.

Who designs your book jackets?

Sara Armstead designed the cover for Agony of the Heart, and she did a wonderful job if I do say so myself. Her website is currently under construction, but her contact details are there: kihani-design.com.

Who proof-reads your work? Who is your editor?

There are three people who are my beta readers and who help to catch mistakes, though I have no "official" editor. My husband, my mom (ok, I know, I know), and another author who is an extremely critical friend of mine. I rely heavily on what he says because he's always honest, brutally so!

Have you attended any literary events? Writer's workshops?

Not lately, although growing up, I took many writing courses, started out in journalism and also did business writing years ago. That was all before starting a family, which derailed my writing career for a long time, but now I'm fortunate enough to be able to concentrate on my dream once again.

What do you think makes good writing? What do you think the secret to success is?

There are so many different aspects to it. The story itself is probably the most important thing because that's what drives the reader to finish the book. However, well thought-out characters are also important. I know my characters so well; they're a part of me. Their personality traits, how they'll react to this or that, is all second-nature to me, but that is not always the case with every writer.

What I always say is, if you can't stop reading the book and have to know what happens, no matter what your complaints about this or that, it's a good book. We writers can be nit-picky with fellow authors, but sometimes we should just read the book as a regular reader and stop being so critical.

Which authors do you rate?

Orit Arfa is an Israeli author who wrote a book called, The Settler. This book has so many layers to it, and just when I thought I completely understood, I read a nonfiction book she wrote which illuminated yet another layer I hadn't seen. It's a book that has everything and is written to perfection.

Other authors I enjoy include A.M. Khalifa, Ahmad Ardalan, Zohra Saeed, Peter Best, Maria Gibbs, Toni Morrison, and of course, Hemingway, to name a few.

And what book has had the biggest influence on your work?

The Biblical Book of Esther. It is about an ordinary Jewish girl who gets an unusual opportunity to compete to become the Queen but reluctantly must put her own life on the line in order to save her people from slaughter. She doesn't want to be brave but doesn't have much choice in the matter because she'll probably die either way. The book is a triumph of good over evil but so much more. It's the only book of the Bible that is written like a novel and doesn't even mention G-d.

What's your favourite character archetype of literature?

That would be Esther again. She came from nothing but rose to the top, both in prestige and in spirit.

And lastly, what advice can you give to other writers? 

To follow your dreams. Don't waste years of your life hemming and hawing about writing. Just do it. I am a mother and love that role, but I lost myself along the way. Now that I'm back to writing, I've rediscovered an integral part of myself. If you're truly a writer at heart, you need this in your life.
Let it flow.


Thank you so much for agreeing to feature on the Spotlight series. Good luck with your writing career!










1 comment:

  1. I love the idea that the Book of Esther had the biggest influence on you, it made me want to get my bible out and read it. A good story stands the test of time.

    ReplyDelete